Monday, July 6, 2015

Ballast Point Sculpin Grapefruit

When it comes to beer, vodka, tequila, wine and other spirits, I'm a bit of a purist. I believe beer should be beer without chicory, honey, etc...I believe whiskey should be whiskey, not maple, or apple, or caramel, etc...There are way too many temporary spirit trends that it's killing the market. I don't want to drink a half cider / half beer, I don't wanna spend $70 on a bottle of crown with a strong taste of maple. So when I when I saw that Ballast Point BrewingCompany had a Sculpin Grapefruit ale, I immediately waved it off as a joke.

I love the Sculpin IPA. Probably one of the best citric IPAs out there. It strong IBUs and citric hops makes this a hophead's favorite. The Sculpin is a true citric IPA and everyone should at least try it if that's their type of beer. On-ward to the Sculpin Grapefruit...

Where I live in Eastern Washington, we have hot summers and bitterly cold winters. Right now, it's hot!! Hot, hot, hot!! Consistent 100+ degree days. Almost a months worth. I can either drink Bud Light Lime, Coors Light or Corona to feel like I'm cooling off with light beer. But today I decided to taste beer outside the box. Hence the Sculpin Grapefruit.

This beer has exactly the same characteristics as the regular Sculpin IPA, except that it has this super well balanced unoffensive grapefruit finish. Such a breath of fresh air. Totally satisfying!!! I like grapefruit and this nails that feeling of pairing grapefruit with beer. If you like grapefruit, you'll like this! If you like IPAs, you'll like this! If you like both, you'll love this!! AP Rating: 95 Pts. 6/30/15

No comments:

Post a Comment